All times are UTC

How often do you go to the pub
Daily 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
A couple of times a week 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
Once a week 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Every couple of weeks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Special Occasions 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: How often do you go to the pub?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:58 pm 
Forum Admin

As it says on the tin!

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Post subject: Re: How often do you go to the pub?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:13 pm 
Advanced Member

used to go every night without fail when I was younger but I'm afraid I just can't take 'the morning after' when I have to go to work these days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:18 pm 
Advanced Member

Just have a couple and not a skinful, you should feel fine!

Last edited by mike5490 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:55 pm 
Advanced Member

Rarely have a skinful these days but even a couple of pints makes it just that bit harder to get up in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

just to be social and dominoes on sundays !!
Oh and whenever i can get away with it !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 pm 
Advanced Member

Thursdays to Sundays (Winter) Wednesdays to Sundays (summer)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:04 pm 
Advanced Member

Jon who the f*** is RorDorglywows ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:07 am 
Advanced Member

Usually every Fri & Sat evening. May do a mid-week meander occasionally, but more likely in Summer months!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 pm 

At some point during the week I've probably just missed a train home from work, so a pint of something somewhere in Manchester is usually called for. Try to go somewhere in Chester at least once a week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 am 
Advanced Member

Sadly I have now become an 'occasional' rather than the regular pub-goer I once was. Typically once a week now.

There are two main reasons for this:

1. The price of a standard pint in most pubs in Chester (and other places of course) is prohibitively high - working or not, when it's gettting to the £3 + range it simply sometimes not value for money. The swift 2 or 3 pints at the weekend is now becoming a luxury. The days of a 'good session' in the pub are becoming rare (at least for me.) Throwing good money across a bar is simply not an option anymore. Wetherspoons is possibly an exception but only with the 50p off.

2. Coupled to the price, the inconsistency / quality of beer is not acceptable. Landlords now more than ever have a duty and constant responsibility to ensure that what is produced in exchange for up to £3 + is absolutely top-notch every time. No excuses e.g dirty glasses, a knocked barrel, it's getting towards the end, well it was ok yesterday etc. etc. etc. That simply won't wash anymore I'm afraid. I know it's 'real' ale and therefore subject to problems a 'living' product may encounter, however, my money is also real. An establishment was more than happy to releive me of £3+ the other night in exchange for sub-standard fare. This is happening too often.

Nonetheless, well done to those who do serve up consistently fine ale - you know who you are .......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:57 pm 
Advanced Member

Boughton Beerman wrote:
Sadly I have now become an 'occasional' rather than the regular pub-goer I once was. Typically once a week now.

There are two main reasons for this:

1. The price of a standard pint in most pubs in Chester (and other places of course) is prohibitively high - working or not, when it's gettting to the £3 + range it simply sometimes not value for money. The swift 2 or 3 pints at the weekend is now becoming a luxury. The days of a 'good session' in the pub are becoming rare (at least for me.) Throwing good money across a bar is simply not an option anymore. Wetherspoons is possibly an exception but only with the 50p off.

2. Coupled to the price, the inconsistency / quality of beer is not acceptable. Landlords now more than ever have a duty and constant responsibility to ensure that what is produced in exchange for up to £3 + is absolutely top-notch every time. No excuses e.g dirty glasses, a knocked barrel, it's getting towards the end, well it was ok yesterday etc. etc. etc. That simply won't wash anymore I'm afraid. I know it's 'real' ale and therefore subject to problems a 'living' product may encounter, however, my money is also real. An establishment was more than happy to releive me of £3+ the other night in exchange for sub-standard fare. This is happening too often.

Nonetheless, well done to those who do serve up consistently fine ale - you know who you are .......

I quite agree with the comments on Chester, I go across the water to Liverpool now. They seem to have seen sense in a lot of the pubs and have dropped the prices in a few of the real ale pubs. The Baltic Fleets own wapping bitter was £2.30 on my last visit a couple of weeks ago.

Also, The Welkin, Wetherspoons more central outlet had around 7 or 8 different ales on at a staggeringly cheap £1.79. Ruddles was on at £1.39 :suprised: I tried a number of them and the quality was superb. Perhaps Chester may be the next place to lower the prices.

Even The mill hotel have pushed up their 2 regular bitters to £2.05. When are the more expensive places going to realise that to get the punters in the prices need to be slashed considerably so that they can still shift enough beer to make a profit. Not everyone has the money to spend on more that one jaunt to the pub a week and this is one of the main reasons why.

Come on pubs, wise up or face certain closure.