Interesting beer, football and trains trip to Birmingham

The forum for all general banter, etc.
Old Yard Dog
Advanced Member

Interesting beer, football and trains trip to Birmingham

Post by Old Yard Dog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:43 am

Having decided to forsake Bradford's visit to Boston on Saturday expecting a heavy defeat, I thought I would do Coventry City vs Blackpool at St Andrews to fulfil my duty as a member of the 92 Club. And it also afforded me an opportunity to redo Bordesley station which normally only sees one train a week in one direction only. But additional stops are made when Birmingham City or Coventry City are at home.

The Snow Hill / Jewellery Quarter has three home brew pubs which could not be more different. The Gunmakers Arms, near Snow Hill, is a traditional inner city pub and the Two Towers brewery tap. Snow Hill can be reached by changing at Smethwick Galton Bridge if your train stops there. I sampled six halves before the game and then caught the train to Bordesley.

After the game, an exciting 3-2 win for the Sky Blues against Blackpool, I caught the train from Bordesley direct to Jewellery Quarter and made my way to the Burning Soul brewery on Mott Street. I brought a good map, which was needed, and also picked up a Jewellery Quarter ale trail leaflet at the eponymous station. The brewery is in a modern industrial unit and only opens Fridays 4-8 and Saturdays 1-8, so fits in well with football trips. Burning Soul seems to be heavily influenced by the craft movement with an eclectic range of beers served from taps on the back wall in girly half-pint flute glasses. These are apparently stored in keykegs so count as real ale. All beers cost a whopping £2.50 a half, regardless of strength. I sampled Cherry Sour and Low Clarity.

I then shot off to the Rock & Roll Brewhouse on Regent Place which was a bonus as I hadn't heard of it till I picked up the Ale Trail leaflet. This is a most unusual pub on the ground floor of a old building. It is like a 1960s club, darkly lit and rock & roll themed, with small intimate areas and bedecked with music memorabilia. To my surprise, I really enjoyed the Caribbean music they were playing as well as the excellent Mash City Rocker and Voodoo Mild. This pub also has very limited opening hours, namely 5-9 on Fridays and 1-7 on Saturdays, the early closing seeming quite odd for a music venue.

My day out was then somewhat marred by the lack of working toilets on the trains to Galton Bridge and onwards to Crewe, forcing me to bail out at Wolverhampton for a Jimmy Riddle. But if you're into beer, football and trains, this trip is hard to better.

Fred Gumby
Advanced Member

Re: Interesting beer, football and trains trip to Birmingham

Post by Fred Gumby » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:34 am

I agree with OYD that Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter is well worth checking out. CAMRA's GBBF Winter is moving to Birmingham next year and will be taking place at the New Bingley Hall from 4th - 8th February. The venue is about half a mile from Jewellery Quarter train / tram stop,