Brook Street Potential

The forum for all general banter, etc.
Only_Me
Advanced Member

Brook Street Potential

Post by Only_Me » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm

I was just pondering the possibilities of the Brook Street area being a good crawl if the likes of Stanley Arms, Egerton and Railway were suddenly to become Real Ale Venues. Already have Olde Cottage and Kash Tap Rooms (top end of station road) and also Mill Hotel around the corner.

This could be a cracking area with some rejuvenation. Would be an even better crawl with the likes of that hotel on Hoole Road and the Royal Oak across the road from it. Maybe i shouldn't let my imagination run amok as this is probably never likely to happen. It is however, an often overlooked and forgotten area of the city.

electrophotic
Advanced Member

Re: Brook Street Potential

Post by electrophotic » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:55 pm

We used to do a crawl along that way in the late 70's. Started at the Town Crier (or Albion Hotel as it was) with draught Bass - yummy. Next was the Liver Hotel (monthly Camra meetings were sometimes held here) and a pint of Tetley bitter. Then a few yards further on to the Egerton Arms - Ind Coope Burton Ale, a fine pint (this was also sometimes on in the Ship Victory and the Red Lion). Then the Olde Cottage for some Whitbread Trophy, finishing off at the Oddfellows on Greenalls Original (a good pint in those days). Then a last-minute sprint through the Kaleyard Gate, past the Cathedral and to the bus stop at the front of the Coach and Horses for the last bus home. Both the Stanley Arms and the Railway Inn were Greenalls pubs, but we thought the best kept Greenalls was at the Oddfellows (the landlord was an Italian bloke, can't remember his name).

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Barlows on Bridge Street used to keep a cracking pint of Greenalls in the 70's as did Mercer in the Albion.

Boughton Beerman
Advanced Member

Post by Boughton Beerman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes, the area certainly has that rundown feel about it, but that is typical of the areas in the immediate environs of many railway stations - people passing through rather than being final destinations etc.etc. However, the good news is we have some gems in a very small area. Kash, Cellar, Artichoke. Did the rounds here last Friday. Had a great session and didn't have to go far.

Agree Mike - Barlows was the tops for Greenalls, Saturday dinnertimes are well remembered.

chunkamunka
Advanced Member

Post by chunkamunka » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:39 pm

its true that brook street is diverse, but where else do you find this? Faulkner street maybe, but with the opening of a sainsburys how much longer is left for the small shops.
some of the pubs in brook street dont have the chance to sell real ales due to the prices from the pubcos and the short shelf life of cask ales can mean a big loss if not sold. The traditional pubs are under a lot of pressure from the new free houses in chester which can stock a large range, this compounds the problem and we can see the evidence by the amount of pubs shutting. As long as the pubcos dont give us a level playing field to compete and real ale drinkers desert the pubs for the more trendy establishments this will only carry on.
catholic club stock some nice ales its only cheap to become a member.
http://www.oldecottagechester.co.uk
Facebook-ye olde cottage inn
From Sunday
Camra discount 30p a pint discount on days ending in a Y
Loyalty cards tue-sat buy 10 get one free
Sun-mon buy 5 get one free(new stamp only on these days)

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks for spotting that Mike. My 1000th post! Hurrah.

Bombardier spotted at the Egerton Arms last night. How long's that been real ?

chunkamunka
Advanced Member

Post by chunkamunka » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:25 am

Not only are they selling one real ale, but the note on the door the other day read no drugs, no stolen goods, and no knob heads. Times they are a changing :thumb:and to all the people that do knock brook street I noticed that it was not in the top 30 worst streets in the country!
http://www.oldecottagechester.co.uk
Facebook-ye olde cottage inn
From Sunday
Camra discount 30p a pint discount on days ending in a Y
Loyalty cards tue-sat buy 10 get one free
Sun-mon buy 5 get one free(new stamp only on these days)