Race Horse, Upton Dene

Anything about Pubs... even rumours.
rimmer
Advanced Member

Race Horse, Upton Dene

Post by rimmer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 am

Noticed the pub signs up for the new Hungry Horse pub near the Countess hospital calling itself the Racecourse situated down the road from the now closed Frog,at least suppose it will have some cask on. Not particularly keen on these HH pubs but best one I've been in was the one in Mansfield,which I'm sure Chester's away fans have been in, that had 10 casks on and only four of them GK beers,the other six from micros.
cheers and happy Hungry Horse
rimmer

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Re: New pub Chester- Racecourse

Post by Mr W » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:26 am

rimmer wrote:Noticed the pub signs up for the new Hungry Horse pub near the Countess hospital calling itself the Racecourse situated down the road from the now closed Frog,at least suppose it will have some cask on. Not particularly keen on these HH pubs but best one I've been in was the one in Mansfield,which I'm sure Chester's away fans have been in, that had 10 casks on and only four of them GK beers,the other six from micros.
cheers and happy Hungry Horse
rimmer
Funnily enough I retweeted some pictures of that this morning https://twitter.com/CAMRACaSC and added it to Whatpub.
It's called the Race Horse so I've amended the topic title.
Would be great if it has 10 casks on but I'm not holding my breath! Anyone have any more news on it, opening date etc?
Ian

Boughton Beerman
Advanced Member

Re: New Chester Pub - Race Horse

Post by Boughton Beerman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Gareth (good chap), ex Cross Keys has gone there to manage.

Old Yard Dog
Advanced Member

Post by Old Yard Dog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:05 pm

There's also a newish Greene King pub called the Hungry Horse at the Coliseum leisure park near Cheshire Oaks. Not been in yet to check it out. This is not to be confused with the nearby Rake which was part of the Hungry Horse chain. Meanwhile the Hungry Horse folk club moved from the Rake to the Whitby sports & social club, formerly the Shell club, three or four years ago but have kept the HH name. Confused?

chester2014

Post by chester2014 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:35 am

It's due open this weekend.

I am not sure everyone on the estate is happy that the pub is there. Me personally, as I rent there, couldn't be happier.

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

... and work has started on re-opening the Frog too. Should be back in business in September.

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 am

After a visit to the Frog popped my head through the door of this new pub,three GK beers on though the handpulls were difficult to find,didn't try any as wasn't too keen on the pub,well I suppose at least they had real ale on. Just for completeness looked in the Egerton Arms Fayre&Square down the road were Lancaster Bomber was the sole cask on,bit of an improvement on previous.
cheers
rimmer

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 am

rimmer wrote:After a visit to the Frog popped my head through the door of this new pub,three GK beers on though the handpulls were difficult to find,didn't try any as wasn't too keen on the pub,well I suppose at least they had real ale on. Just for completeness looked in the Egerton Arms Fayre&Square down the road were Lancaster Bomber was the sole cask on,bit of an improvement on previous.
cheers
rimmer
I popped in yesterday too before the match. First ever visit and doubt I'll go in again. Awful decor, an assistant manager that basically didn't seem to give an eff about things (more interested in his phone than talking to customers or staff). Poor beers and tons of kids with balloons. Not my kind of place at all.
Ian

supervalkoinen
Advanced Member

Post by supervalkoinen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Mr W wrote:
rimmer wrote:After a visit to the Frog popped my head through the door of this new pub,three GK beers on though the handpulls were difficult to find,didn't try any as wasn't too keen on the pub,well I suppose at least they had real ale on. Just for completeness looked in the Egerton Arms Fayre&Square down the road were Lancaster Bomber was the sole cask on,bit of an improvement on previous.
cheers
rimmer
I popped in yesterday too before the match. First ever visit and doubt I'll go in again. Awful decor, an assistant manager that basically didn't seem to give an eff about things (more interested in his phone than talking to customers or staff). Poor beers and tons of kids with balloons. Not my kind of place at all.
I had a similar report last week.

Early evening and quiet.
Customer waited several minutes while staff had conversations with their backs to the bar.
When asked for IPA they held a conference before deciding it wasn't on.
Exit 2 customers unlikely to return.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Now closed and opening on October 4 as a bar and kitchen.
No real ale, who'd have thought it could become less appealing than as a Hungry Horse!
https://whatpub.com/pubs/CLW/16858/good ... en-chester
Ian

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Re: Race Horse, Upton Dene

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 am

"Who'd have thought it could become less appealing than a Hungry Horse!"

Nice quote and how true. That'll be in the next OIC.