Boat Inn Erbistock

Anything about Pubs... even rumours.
mccarran

Re: Boat Erbistock shock

Post by mccarran » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 pm

apparently the Boat has now reopened. Has anyone popped down yet? Is it still as good as it always was? have things changed?

Dexter
Advanced Member

Post by Dexter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:30 am

Apparently ale was Hydes Original and Boddingtons. No idea if this is to be a permanent arrangement. Hope not any way.

Athelstan
Advanced Member

Post by Athelstan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 am

Boddies and Thwaites on last SUnday. No-one was there to serve me - a relief really - so cleared off to the Cross Foxes.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:02 pm

I got conflicting reports yesterday about whether or not the Boat is open or not so didn't risk cycling down to see for myself.
Does anyone know for sure if they are currently open?
Ian

The Eggman
Forum Moderator

Post by The Eggman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:38 pm

Changed hands again and should be open tomorrow so i heard from a bloke at the Cross Foxes
:thumb: :thumb: :cheers:

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:40 pm

The Eggman wrote:Changed hands again and should be open tomorrow so i heard from a bloke at the Cross Foxes
:thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
Excellent news as it's a lovely pub. Hopefully it'll do well under the new owners.
Do keep us informed! :thumb:
Ian

karent

Post by karent » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:32 pm

This post is just to inform you that the Boat Inn is now under new ownership as of two weeks ago. The new owners are committed to returning the Boat Inn to it's former glory with locally sourced fresh produce, real ales currently supplied by Hydes and wine all sourced from Tanners. I believe the new owners are looking at sourcing local real ales but are currently focussing on driving the trade so that they can deliver a fantastic experience. :thumb:

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 am

Hardly a fantastic experience yesterday. No sign of any investment and the pub car park as only full due to a grayling angling competition. A decent pint of Hydes Original but I'd expect something more special than that for £3.10. I really do wish this place would pick up as it's in such a marvellous location.

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 am

Making the most of a rare glorious day's weather I cycled to Erbistock yesterday to visit two of my favourite beer gardens. The Boat was as busy as I've seen it in a long time. Hydes Original and a very decent pint of Spitting feathers Thirstquencher. Still too expensive though.

The Cross Foxes meanwhile had amongst its Marstons range two ales from Ringwood. Boondoggle and Showman's Tipple which was good and tasted stronger than 3.8%.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Boat Erbistock Beer Festival

Post by Mr W » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Enjoyed a good pint of Cheshire Cat there today and spotted a large banner advertising their beer festival later in the year.
October 18/19/20
25 local and regional cask ales to be tried and tested
Cask Ale tasting trays

Sounds promising :drunk:
Ian

BBCJohn
Advanced Member

Re: Boat Erbistock Beer Festival

Post by BBCJohn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:04 am

Mm, better add that to my Socials list :thumb: Any takers? :drinking:

etmjpor1
Advanced Member

Boat Inn Erbistock

Post by etmjpor1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:58 am

Does anyone know about a change of ownership of the Boat, effective today (9/9/13)?
Beer festival cancelled apparently.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Re: BOAT INN ERBISTOCK

Post by Mr W » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:50 am

A quick rummage round Facebook reveals this comment yesterday -
"I am quite upset after recommending The Boat to everyone I know we had a less than satisfactory experience when we had a meal there a few weeks ago and I contacted them by email I was given an apology and told that it would be looked in to and by way of apology some vouchers would be sent out, the vouchers did not arrive, I phoned today to be told that the manageress was no longer there and to try The Swan? apparently there is now a new owner called Norman Rose we were thinking of having a wedding there but after wasting over a hundred pound on a very disappointing meal I think we will have to re think the venue "
Ian

BBCJohn
Advanced Member

Re: BOAT INN ERBISTOCK

Post by BBCJohn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:54 am

I confirm new owner is Norman Rose so no Pubco involved.
Beer Festival planned for 18th/19th October cancelled but we'll still have our trip to check beer quality.... :whistle:
Probably do a few other pubs in the vicinity as well. :thumb:

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Re: Boat Inn Erbistock

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:18 am

News on the currently closed Boat at Erbistock.

Now co-owned by ex-Brunning & Price creator Graham Price. To quote Linked-In ...

"...Recently, possibly in a moment of madness and, despite all other previous intentions and self-promises, myself and a pal bought The Boat at Erbistock. She has to be the Catherine Zeta Jones of pubs. Modest in stature with obvious abundant charms, she sits alluringly, watching the river Dee wend its way through stunning Welsh countryside on its journey to and through historic Chester. She’s also just 10 minutes from home.

"Listed, she’s in a conservation area and needs extending and refurbishing, so the challenges are numerous. But she’s special and I’m optimistic and very excited about her potential. I know it’ll be hard work, time consuming and probably quite painful but developing foodie country pubs is what I do and love and I simply couldn’t resist!"