Boat Inn Erbistock

Anything about Pubs... even rumours.
jamesb
Forum Admin

The Boat, Erbistock

Post by jamesb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:54 pm

... will be holding a Farmer's Market on Sunday the 5th and Sunday the 12th of October.

All sort of stuff will be on sale, including beer from Wrexham's very own Jolly Brewmistress.. sorry, Jolly Brewer.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Boat Erbistock shock

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:07 am

Our esteemed branch secretary tells me that the Boat at Erbistock has apparently gone into receivership. That's an automatic ten point deduction which must jeopardise its chances for GBG2010 selection.

The Eggman
Forum Moderator

Re: Boat Erbistock shock

Post by The Eggman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:40 pm

It's been rumoured for some time. I know one of their suppliers hadn't been paid for months, but i was planning on going over there as not really had a look since early 90's. Oh well the Cross Foxes it is then.
:twisted:

pistonbroke
Advanced Member

Post by pistonbroke » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:56 pm

:shock: Even I`m starting to get the jitters now; the Boat was one of the pubs visited by me on my cider tour last October as reported on the website.I`ll sign the pledge if it`ll help,or is there a pub you all hate???....... :o

The Eggman
Forum Moderator

Post by The Eggman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 am

There is no such thing as a bad pub ! just bad beers and rubbish landlords.
:P :P

knowhowe
Advanced Member

Post by knowhowe » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:09 am

How true. Can anyone advise who owns/manages The Boat?

etmjpor1
Advanced Member

Post by etmjpor1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:30 pm

The Boat is fully owned by a limited company The Boat Inn Ltd. Sole owner (but presumably with borrowings) is a charmer called Cook. Until it shut, it was managed by Paul (don't know surname) and his partner who lived in the house above the car park.
When he decided to pull the plug, Mr Cook stripped out anything of value (food, spirits, portable furniture...) and included in this were two full, unbreached casks of beer. One of them, belonging to us at Sandstone, found its way to The Shady Oak at Tiverton, where the beer was sold across the bar. The receiver is still chasing this cask because I have been mithering them, even though we have now got it back (receiver doesn't know) and have threatened to sue Cook since the cask was not his to sell, although the contents were. Bastard.

Oakorn

Post by Oakorn » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 pm

Can anyone please tell me who the receivers are for The Boat, and perhaps an address for the owner?. Just before The Boat sank they took a large deposit off us for our wedding reception.

I'm not holding my breath but all attempts to find out who they are have failed so far.
Last edited by Oakorn on Fri May 08, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ano

Post by ano » Fri May 08, 2009 7:32 am

Ouch.

A search on companies house yields this company. The r/o is the same as the liquidator's (which can be gained from clicking "Insolvency History"):

RICHARD IAN WILLIAMSON

Practitioner address:
CAMPBELL CROSSLEY & DAVIS
348/350 LYTHAM ROAD
BLACKPOOL
LANCASHIRE
FY4 1DW

01253 349331 (off their website)

Hope that info's helpful, best of luck.

Oakorn

Post by Oakorn » Fri May 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi Ano - many many thanks for this info. I've done several searches with credit reference companies online and even the latest one from creditgate last night still shows The Boat as trading and with a sound financial record! ??

I have since learnt that the voluntary receiver was appointed (presumably by the owner) on the 20th Feb but the doors were actually closed to the public on the 5th. I called in on the 12th and 14th and there was tumbleweed in the bar. All the lights were out but I could make out a solitary table in the restaurant area piled up with papers. Funny that... I'll have a word with CAB to find out what we can to do from here and how we make a claim.

Thanks again for your help.

The Eggman
Forum Moderator

Post by The Eggman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:11 pm

I have heard (unofficially) that said pub is opening up again soon , maybe as soon as next week.
:thumb: :thumb:

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 am

Fingers crossed as it's one of my absolute favourites in the summer. Keep us informed !

Elsewhere, I had a half of Coach House Cheshire Gold in your Malpas local last Sunday. Very much on the turn I'm afraid. A blip I hope. Any news of a repeat of last year's enjoyable halloween Red Lion fezza?

The Eggman
Forum Moderator

Post by The Eggman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:24 pm

must have been a big blip cos the beers always good these days, i shall be trying a few tonight , day off tomorrow and a trip to Keswick in the afternoon , beer fest saturday. :cheers: :drunk: :drink: :whistle:
:twisted:

jamesb
Forum Admin

Post by jamesb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:36 am

I popped over this weekend to see if it had opened.

No such luck, although there is a notice saying "Opening Soon" and a list of numbers to contact if you want to book functions.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:43 am

Re-opening this evening apparently so, if you live in the area, pop down if you fancy some nibbles.