Marlborough Arms

Anything about Pubs... even rumours.
Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Marlborough Arms

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 am

A worrying cri de coeur from Ben Iles on his facebook page about the Marlbororough Arms ...

Hiya guys we've been struggling recently at the Marlborough with bullshit licensing legal bills, a drug den bar in close proximity (not naming the bar or their colour ), and general poor times in the trade. I know you all love the Marlb and all the great times you've had, this is a last chance cry from the Marlborough and it's staff, please please "use it or lose it", or it's unique party atmosphere will soon just be memories of good times, please if you're going out over the next week or so, whether it's after work or a big night out, stop by the Marlbororough and help a local business out before all the soulless corps completely take over. Please like and share with everybody.

https://www.facebook.com/ben.iles.79?fref=ts

Boughton Beerman
Advanced Member

Re: Marlborough Arms

Post by Boughton Beerman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 am

Worrying indeed .......

Must admit, it's not been on my list for a long time.

Not the same since those far off days of much amounts of Castle Eden before trooping off to shout for the Seals at the erstwhile Sealand Road ground.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Have to admit I stopped going a while back, just found it all very very dirty to be honest and it put me off.
Shame as at one time it was selling some corking Stonehouse ales in excellent nick.
Ian

mmatthej1
Advanced Member

Post by mmatthej1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Is this the one in St.John Street? Not the 'right' spelling for that, surely?

Dexter
Advanced Member

Post by Dexter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Yes. Self-same Marlbororough (sic). It was being redecorated when the signwriter inadvertantly added the extra 'or' and they decided to stick with it.

I pop in fairly regularly. Only the once have I found the Stonehouse to be questionable. Otherwise been fine. Never found it to be too dirty either. Just basic.

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:59 pm

I tried it a lot of times after it opened, beer was goodish but then began to go downhill quite rapidly.
It seemed to me to have become a 'nocturnal' bar catering into the very early hours for people in the licensed trade.
Yes it is basic, and serves Stonehouse beers, but many other establishments have upped their game and attracted the discerning real ale drinker, to survive, I feel the Marlborborough has got to move forward too.

jamesb
Forum Admin

Post by jamesb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Stopped going when they got rid of the majority of the decent bottled beers.

Don't have a problem with Stonehouse, good beers. But I can get them anywhere and the Marl does't have any other cask choice.

Never had a bad pint in there though.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...