Bunbury Arms, Stoak

Anything about Pubs... even rumours.
Mr W
Forum Moderator

Bunbury Arms, Stoak

Post by Mr W » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 pm

Good news from the Bunbury - long standing manager Alan Frain is leaving as manager.

No, we don't hate Alan, the good news is that he's actually taking over the lease instead :D
From 2nd December he'll almost be a free man. The beer selection will still have some restrictions but he should be able to have a much wider choice of ales.
He'll also be free to control his own food menu and I'm looking forward to some of the dishes he's got planned.

Excellent stuff.
Ian

rimmer
Advanced Member

Re: Bunbury Arms, Stoak

Post by rimmer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Yes I was aware that he was due to take over the lease(not sure what that means) but gives him more control over beer and food. Was there last week and the Weetwood best and Ambush were excellent so looking foreward to an even greater selection of beer and a quality Xmas dinner.
cheers and all the best for the Bunbury
rimmer

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:35 pm

He was a manager under Punch/Spirit/whoever they are, so was a salaried employee with bascially little sway over how he ran things.
Now he will be a tenant so he just pays his rent and runs the place his way. These days lease agreements are a tough way to run a pub but Alan got an extremely good agreement and will have more freedom than most tenants.
A positive move by a pubco - I'm staggered :shock:
Ian

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks for that,didn't realise he was on a salary. Perhaps punch/Spirit had no choice in this difficult period otherwise the boards may have appeared at the windows soon. From what the locals have been telling me everything has been downhill since that pub group took over meaning the taking,the food and the beer(although I thought the Weetwood ,when it was on ,was in good form). Looking foreward now for even greater improvement.
cheers
rimmer

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Nipped into The Bunbury, Stoak after The Greyhound ,unfortunatly still no sign of any Weetwood beers, on offer Hancocks,Tetleys,some other national beer and Adnams which I opted for. It was good but not as mind blowing as say Weetwood Old Dog. Had a quick chat to landlord Alan-he seems quite happy and looking at his menu chalked on the board(Blue fin Whale ) or something like that,maybe thats his route?
cheers
rimmer

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 am

Anyone that likes their beer from a southerly direction The Bunbury,Stoak had a very nice drop of Otter Amber on yesterday amongst the four real beers on. Probably still the best pub north of Chester even with the loss of Weetwood.
cheers and happy drinking
rimmer

Old Yard Dog
Advanced Member

Post by Old Yard Dog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:16 pm

The excellent Holts Bitter has been a regular at the Bunbury Arms in recent weeks. Three other rotating cask ales are on tap.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Excellent pints of Castle Rock Elsie Mo and Red Squirrel Red Tail there tonight. Throw in a strong Abbots Reserve at 6.5% and it was a wobbly cycle home!
Good news that they will be able to choose from the full SIBA list from next week too. :thumb:
Ian

Old Yard Dog
Advanced Member

Post by Old Yard Dog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm

I went to the Bunbury Arms last night for the first time since Alan sadly passed away. Being a Sunday night in the holiday season, it was fairly quiet and not a lot has changed.

The three cask beers were Spitting Feathers Thirstquencher & Holts Bitter, which were both good, plus Old Speckled Hen which I didn't try. However the number of huge keg fonts on the bar seems to be increasing - I counted nine dwarfing the four handpumps - and they look totally out of character with the pub. The food was fine.

Old Yard Dog
Advanced Member

Post by Old Yard Dog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Had an excellent pint of Holts at the Bunbury on Monday. The beer temperature was perfect despite the sweltering heat. Also on sale were Taylors Landlord, Golden Best and Sharp's Doom Bar.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 am

Old Yard Dog wrote:Had an excellent pint of Holts at the Bunbury on Monday. The beer temperature was perfect despite the sweltering heat. Also on sale were Taylors Landlord, Golden Best and Sharp's Doom Bar.
Was in here on Monday myself and thought the Landlord was very good.
Ian

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Thu May 19, 2016 8:30 am

Kitchen Manager steals £6K from the Bunbury http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/1 ... loyer.aspx
Ian

Old Yard Dog
Advanced Member

Post by Old Yard Dog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:47 pm

The beers are beginning to vary a little bit more nowadays. When I visited in early June, the excellent Holts Bitter was still on tap accompanied by beers from St Austell and Salopian.

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Had a nice Salopian Lemon Dream there last week.

Old Yard Dog
Advanced Member

Post by Old Yard Dog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:24 am

The beer selection seems to be more varied these days. On Sunday they had two from Dunscar Bridge, one from Milestone and one from St Austell on tap. As I was driving, I could only sample one, but that was in good nick (3.5).