Nags Head Lavister

Anything about Pubs... even rumours.
Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Nags Head Lavister

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:31 am

Some interesting ales on at the Nags this weekend including Plain Ales Fools Gold (Salisbury), Green Duck Duck Blonde / Drunken Duck (Stourbridge) and Backyard Blond (Walsall).

Also there are Marble, Peerless, Pheonix, Milestone, O'Hanlons, Blindmans, Blackwater, Brimstage, Spittign Feathers, Elland and Six Bells.

Dead easy to get to on the regular Arriva No.1 bus from Wrexham and Chester.

jamesb
Forum Admin

Re: Nags Head Lavister

Post by jamesb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 am

I was there myself early evening. Splendid pint of Marble Chocolate and a couple of others.

Was quite busy in the pub, but not many people taking advantage of the beer in the marquee outside.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

pistonbroke
Advanced Member

Post by pistonbroke » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:16 pm

:cry: Oh s**t!! is there a fest there, on this weekend..??? I`ve a feeling it was posted somewhere on here..oh b****r!! have I missed another opportunity yet again..?? :shock:

Dexter
Advanced Member

Post by Dexter » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 am

O'Hanlons Goldblade and Plain Ale's Fools Gold were my favourites closely followed by the acquired taste of Peerless Jinja Ninja. I didn't like the Green Duck Duck Blond.

Quite a few in by the time I left but horrible weather (and worse today) for a bbq !

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 am

Called in myself yesterday aft. for a few 'alfs and some highly scientific discussion on ornithology with HH. About 15 ales available outside and a BBQ with a couple of Sp. Feathers beers and Salopian Gold inside. Thought most of the beers ok if a little cold as was the outside temperature. Nice selection of ales from afar as Wilts and a brewery tick for me in the form of Green Duck. Although a roadside pub this pub has a nice community feel to it with real fire,pub games and dining area,as previously mentioned served by a regular bus service. Spoke to one of the management team who informed me that this pub was one of six leased from Enterprise,two of the others being The Hooton Arms and The Clarence,New Brighton,he said that this festival was going slow and was unlikely to have another one here,however there is another fest. at the Hooton Arms next weekend 4th-7th May so hopefully this will be better supported.
cheers and happy nags head
rimmer

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:52 am

Good to meet up with you Rimmer! You ever get wind of a local long eared owl sighting let me know asap.

I'm confused now. This beer festival. It's at the Hooton at Hooton station and not the Hooton Arms in Eastham isn't it?

By the way, I love your description of Hooton Station, Hooton and Childer Thornton as Ellesmere Port's real ale Golden Triangle !

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:53 am

[I'm confused now. This beer festival. It's at the Hooton at Hooton station and not the Hooton Arms in Eastham isn't it?

I'm confused too the recent e mail from K Porter under "social events" states BF at The Hooton Arms but have seen the guy previously at The Hooton that I spoke to yesterday so guess its at The Hooton by the station but will check later in week. Let you know of any LEOs if I find out,I'll be waiting for news of Pine Grosbeak on the east coast with these winds.
cheers
rimmer

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:37 am

Things definitely seem to be on the up again at the Nags Head. The new licensees certainly seem to be getting a grip of things.
Salopian Shropshire Gold was superb, and the Wye Valley HPA was very good too. A pity the nice rear garden has now been split between extra parking and a huge development site though. The buffet looked very good too, with the kitchen now being run as a Thai restaurant (£9.95 all you can eat). I know one of the other beers were Ruddles Best but can't picture the fourth. :wha:
Ian

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:45 pm

Re-opening May 1st according to next door neighbour (and branch founder) Laurie Hughes.

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Tue May 05, 2015 9:14 am

Re-opened with ubiquitous refurbishment featuring numerous fabrics, patterns etc.. Comfortable but characterless. Pool and darts gone. Shame about the latter - always scored well on the oche here including a rare 180.

Wye Valley HPA and Salopian Shropshire Gold are both still on. Also there was Purple Moose Glaslyn and Robinsons Dizzy Blond. Didn't like my half of Shropshire Gold at all. Tasted chemically and reminisce of plastic taint experienced at the Sun, Llangollen which Ellissa explained was down to problems with new lines they'd installed. Hope to God it goes.

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:02 pm

You really having a rough time dear boy!
Stick to places you know and you wont be disappointed!

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:03 pm

To be fair you over critical toss pot, that's not a bad selection of beer at the Nags.

jamesb
Forum Admin

Post by jamesb » Tue May 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Play nicely Mike. Everyone's entitled to their opinion without resorting to personal insults you silly sausage.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Wed May 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Handbridge Hophead wrote:Re-opened with ubiquitous refurbishment featuring numerous fabrics, patterns etc.. Comfortable but characterless. Pool and darts gone. Shame about the latter - always scored well on the oche here including a rare 180.

Wye Valley HPA and Salopian Shropshire Gold are both still on. Also there was Purple Moose Glaslyn and Robinsons Dizzy Blond. Didn't like my half of Shropshire Gold at all. Tasted chemically and reminisce of plastic taint experienced at the Sun, Llangollen which Ellissa explained was down to problems with new lines they'd installed. Hope to God it goes.
It's gone, yes. Sods law go out of your way to make things perfect and get stuffed by the main supplier of plastic pipe across the UK and Europe. :shock: If anyone else has installed new VALPAR lines in the last few years, you will have experienced the same problem. We recommend you follow our path, which was to contact Robin the tech dude from VALPAR. He explained they were recalling all the pipe and to contact the company we bought it off, EWL, Who replaced it months back. Apparently it was caused by an inaccurate recipe to make the pipe, and it unbelievably went unnoticed for that time. It was god damn awful and we are relieved to have resolved the issue.

Not only have we been stuffed through no fault of our own by the company who sold us pipe that wasn't fit for purpose. These things affected custom too. Id just like to thank the good CAMRA people who supported us....... Knowing we've been selling great real ale for 20 years and shall continue to do so :drinking:

Oh yes ale selection. Bollington long hop, Ulverston Flying Elephant, Salopian Shropshire gold. Salopian Oracle, Bank Top Port o call and Pennine Real blonde.

Apologies Nags head for stealing your thread, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to quash some erroneous bad advertisement and replace it with the truth :wink:

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:24 pm

What was all that about? where did the Nags go?