Is Campaigning important?

All notices from CAMRA
robcee123
Advanced Member

Is Campaigning important?

Post by robcee123 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 pm

Having just read an article in The Standard, I learn that Punch Taverns are bringing a roadshow to Chester Racecourse Thursday 9 October. Is it within the remit of CAMRA to generate publicity against the activities of PubCos, or just to occasionally ask members to email their MP? If the former, then a presence at this event may be a way of achieving some further awareness of the issues at hand.
It strikes me that most other campaign groups wishing to raise awareness of perceived injustice, social inequality or other disagreements with "the way things are", seem to be more active with street stalls, petitions, and other active campaigning/protests at organised events. :wha:

jamesb
Forum Admin

Re: Is Campaigning important?

Post by jamesb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Bollocks. If I had any annual leave left I'd be in for that.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Re: Is Campaigning important?

Post by Mr W » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:04 pm

As good as pubco bashing is my concern here is a practical one. We're in the middle of organising the beer festival at the racecourse in a matter of weeks. Staging a demo there against another of their customers might not be the best way to cement a good working relationship.

On a wider level I think the main campaigning is done at HQ level these days with lobbying done in Parliament etc. We're definitely open to ideas for campaigning though, bring it up at a branch meeting and we can throw ideas around.
Ian