The Architect

A space for pubs/bars/clubs/festivals to tell us what beers they have available.
mike5490
Advanced Member

Re: The Architect

Post by mike5490 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Sent my Titanic Advent back last night, told it was end of barrel! not a chance! it was sold 'green' ie, not left to settle and condition for long enough.
Food was brilliant though, as was the house Claret ( Bordeaux red, for you CAMRA lot)

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:43 pm

gbpub wrote:Don't be silly Tarquel, this is B&P. Do you honestly believe they won't iron out any initial teething problems? I have come across many bar staff who struggle to pull a decent pint (including in the Celllar) but most with training and experience soon learn. If it isn't right send it back and keep on doing so until it is.
Three quarters of a pint of Eastgate painfully extracted from the pump over a 5 minute period then topped up by plopping the rest in after removing the sparkler tip isn't £2.60 worth of ale. Maybe while the trainee is on they should consider charging trainee prices. As for sending it back... Jesuz, I'd have been there all night.

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Tarquel wrote:
gbpub wrote:Don't be silly Tarquel, this is B&P. Do you honestly believe they won't iron out any initial teething problems? I have come across many bar staff who struggle to pull a decent pint (including in the Celllar) but most with training and experience soon learn. If it isn't right send it back and keep on doing so until it is.
Three quarters of a pint of Eastgate painfully extracted from the pump over a 5 minute period then topped up by plopping the rest in after removing the sparkler tip isn't £2.60 worth of ale. Maybe while the trainee is on they should consider charging trainee prices. As for sending it back... Jesuz, I'd have been there all night.
Make that £3.60 !

davetheswift
Advanced Member

Post by davetheswift » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Looks like I've got a job on my hands! That being said, I had a job on my hands when I joined the cellar and we've done ok here!

Tarquel, you left your rugby shirt here last night, I've put it behind the bar for you.

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:19 pm

davetheswift wrote:Looks like I've got a job on my hands! That being said, I had a job on my hands when I joined the cellar and we've done ok here!

Tarquel, you left your rugby shirt here last night, I've put it behind the bar for you.
Worra you on about ? Can't stand rugby - it's a game for ex public school closet homosexualists and policemen.

Oh it's a Christmas present for being your bestest and most loyal customer ? Fair dos - will pick it up tomorrow and wear it with pride. Thanks.

The Cellar was jumping last night. Great pub, great atmosphere and most importantly, great ale.

There's still time to change your mind mate.*

Tarquel

*obviously I'm only joking - I'm sure the Architect will be a big success with you on board. Best of luck.

electrophotic
Advanced Member

Post by electrophotic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:43 pm

davetheswift wrote:Looks like I've got a job on my hands! That being said, I had a job on my hands when I joined the cellar and we've done ok here!

We trust you, Swifty. I think Tarquel had to leave his shirt as part payment for his pint :bg:

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Tarquel I was eating in the restaurant bit and a server took it back and brought a relacement within a minute!
Whats up with rugby players? you nonce!! Matador was good in Pied Bull yesterday!!

Fred Gumby
Advanced Member

Post by Fred Gumby » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:57 pm

Nowt wrong with rugby league but rugby yawnion - I'm with Tarquel on that.

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:43 pm

It’s not so much the sport of rugby that I object to, although I fail to see where the skill lies in a game based on picking the ball up with both hands and doing, erm, …nobody quite knows what, because the rules are in a constant state of flux. No, it’s more the ‘extra curricular’ activities that form an essential part of rugby culture that I find offensive – such as posing for ‘cocks out’ group photos in tuxedos, eating shit sandwiches washed down with a glass of aftershave at the end of season do, masturbating onto biscuits and voting tory.*

Anyhow, I’m clearly in the minority as far as Chester’s newest and ponciest boozer is concerned. Perhaps I need to give the Architect another chance !

Tarquel

*and yes, this appraisal is indeed skewed more towards the 'Hooray Henry' rather than the 'Pie Eater' code.

Boughton Beerman
Advanced Member

Post by Boughton Beerman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:37 am

A good mix of both Pie Eaters and Hoorays in there early evening yesterday. In fact quite a few Chester Pie Eaters who seemed to be having festive fun.

Only had the one, the ale (Advent) being both price prohibitive and literally the end of the barrel.

Will try again at some point over the yuletide.

I'm confident it will settle down into a pleasant alternative establishment.

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am

Boughton Beerman wrote:I'm confident it will settle down into a pleasant alternative establishment.
I agree BB. I've only been the once and knew I'd regret it as it was far too busy to be anything like a pleasurable experience. The days to be judgemental lie ahead.

davetheswift
Advanced Member

Post by davetheswift » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Things starting to bed in a bit now and Ally & myself are making plans for the new year.

Of the 10 pumps, we will have 6-8 different beers on at a time with a few regular core beers (B & P original, Weetwood Eastgate, and 1 or 2 more) plus a dedicated dark beer pump. I shall update further in the next week or so.

I appreciate there have been a few below par pints passing over the bar but I assure you we are retraining any struggling staff and making sure all pints are tip top! We have put together a great team but there are a lot of staff who had never pulled a pint before so if you do get an iffy beer, please bring it to your servers attention to top up/swap etc

Cheers all

Swifty

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 pm

davetheswift wrote:Things starting to bed in a bit now and Ally & myself are making plans for the new year.

Of the 10 pumps, we will have 6-8 different beers on at a time with a few regular core beers (B & P original, Weetwood Eastgate, and 1 or 2 more) plus a dedicated dark beer pump. I shall update further in the next week or so.

I appreciate there have been a few below par pints passing over the bar but I assure you we are retraining any struggling staff and making sure all pints are tip top! We have put together a great team but there are a lot of staff who had never pulled a pint before so if you do get an iffy beer, please bring it to your servers attention to top up/swap etc

Cheers all

Swifty
I love the way this man works. I love it ! Looking forward to calling in again soon. When does the seven nations start ?

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Made a few visits here now. Pretty much as I'd expect from a B&P pub with a very high quality conversion. The beer has been very good, if overly expensive. The only downside for me so far has been the clientelle! Sadly it seems to have rounded up all the local "love me" arrogant ponce brigade. Don't you dare try and interrupt Giles and Piers' important conversation to try and get served at the bar :uzi: . Ah well, if it keeps them all in once place and out of all the other pubs then it's not so bad.
Ian

clayton
Advanced Member

Post by clayton » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Spot on there Ian but I think you missed out tw_ _s from your description!