The Architect

A space for pubs/bars/clubs/festivals to tell us what beers they have available.
davetheswift
Advanced Member

The Architect

Post by davetheswift » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:28 am

Well with opening less than a week away I can give a sneak preview of the beers due on at the start.

Phoenix: Brunning & Price Bitter 3.8%
Weetwood: Cheshire Cat 4%
Beartown: Bear Ass: 4%
Tatton: Blonde 4%
Weetwood: Eastgate 4.2%
Titanic: Advent Ale 4.7%

With 10 handpulls installed, 4 of these will also be on in the tap bar and all 6 on the main bar. It's really starting to take shape so looking forward to opening!

The beer cellar will be run my Ally (deputy manager) & myself although I'm not officially starting until the 24th, however I'm there this week helping out where I can and training etc

malingo7
Advanced Member

Re: The Architect

Post by malingo7 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:33 am

Looks good, going to be my new local I think!
malingo7 aka drseuss...

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:21 pm

I bet it wont be on Race Day!!

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Wish you well in new venture Dave. Looking at the beer preview, its not what you would call interesting...................in my opinion!!

BBCJohn
Advanced Member

Post by BBCJohn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Mmm, official opening tomorrow and I've still not received my invite to a VIP night. :hmm: :(
OH well I'll just have to join the heaving masses at 5pm tomorrow! :drink:

BBCJohn
Advanced Member

Post by BBCJohn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 am

Went to the opening night at 5pm yesterday. B&P have done a wonderful job in restoring the building and the new 'Garden Room' extension blends in very well. It's good that this historic building is now open to the public. The separate rooms in the original building are used for dining and a large bar area within the new extension provides views over the garden terrace, but couldn't see much as it was dark. Walls are full of interesting pictures, maps, prints and books of course! 6 beers available: B&P Bitter, Titanic Advent (very nice :drink: ), Beartown Bear Ass, Weetwood Cheshire Cat and Eastgate, Wincle Wibbly Walaby. I tried 4 of the beers, all good but thought the Eastgate needed a bit more conditioning. Prices as per usual B&P tariff, ranging from £3-30 - £3-70 a pint. Since the HQ building dominates most views from the windows I expect staff from CWaC will make it their local, but they'll probably have to put in for a pay rise! :wink:
By 6pm the place was really buzzing so I wish B&P every success with the venture. Good to see a pub opening instead of the usual closure these days. :thumb:
I'm going for lunch there today with my sister to check out the food, the views and more beer of course! :drunk:

:cheers:

malingo7
Advanced Member

Post by malingo7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am

I too attended at 5pm prompt and was impressed with the place. Enjoyed a good few pints of Eastgate and look forward to being a regular!
malingo7 aka drseuss...

Fred Gumby
Advanced Member

Post by Fred Gumby » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:30 pm

The clientele seemed to consist mainly of well heeled diners with a handful of down at heel topers like me checking out the beer range when I called in for a pint last night. I agree with BBC John about the quality of the restoration and the Architect must surely be in the running for one the CAMRA/English Heritage pub design awards next year. I enjoyed the Wincle Wibbly Wallaby and Titanic Advent Ale at £3.60 and £3.70 a pint respectively. Service was friendly and efficient and I didn't have to request a top up which is often the case at Harkers.

It's very much a dining pub and I will no doubt be sampling the food with Mrs Gumby when things quieten down a bit in the New Year. However, it's not a place I can see me being a regular drinker unless Swifty can persuade them to stock some of the more interesting brews that have been on offer at the Cellar in recent months.

Despite reservations an excellent addition to the pub scene in Chester and only 5 mins walk down Castle Street to the Lower Bridge St. triumvirate of the Brewery Tap, Cross Keys and Bear & Billet.

Boughton Beerman
Advanced Member

Post by Boughton Beerman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Must admit it does look rather splendid.
Pitched up to have a gander after an exhilarating trail biking session - plonked bike by wall marched in and duly inspected - got some looks, ha,ha being top to toe in mud. Anyway a swift bath and I'll give it a proper go this weekend.

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Boughton Beerman wrote:Must admit it does look rather splendid.
Pitched up to have a gander after an exhilarating trail biking session - plonked bike by wall marched in and duly inspected - got some looks, ha,ha being top to toe in mud. Anyway a swift bath and I'll give it a proper go this weekend.
Nice one!
Swifty told me there are proper bike racks there but round the side somewhere near the kitchens. Might be able to check it out tonight after the Chester match, weather permitting :shock:
Nice to have this new addition to the scene, not sure I'll be shelling out 3.70 per pint very often though!
Ian

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm

It's rubbish !

Where is it ?

Tarquel

Only_Me
Advanced Member

Post by Only_Me » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Well judging by the photographs and summising that they are from said pub, being known to have worn the odd stripey shirt myself I suppose I better check it out as part of a jaunt I plan to undertake this Sunday (23rd Dec). I intend to Start in the Bear & Billet at around 12 ish and take in Cross Keys, Brewery Tap, Architect and then probably finish off in Pied Bull.

If anyone would care to join me, please let me know on here and will arrange from there.

jamesb
Forum Admin

Post by jamesb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:08 am

Mr W wrote: Nice to have this new addition to the scene, not sure I'll be shelling out 3.70 per pint very often though!
:suprised: :shock: :suprised: :shock: :suprised: :shock:

Whilst I may be known for shelling out stupid money for beer sometimes, it's got to be something bloody special for that price.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 am

Wall to wall chinless wonders and bar staff who couldn't pull a pint even if it threw it's knickers at them. Dreadful.

Swifty, this will be a tough assignment.

Tarquel

gbpub
Advanced Member

Post by gbpub » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 am

Don't be silly Tarquel, this is B&P. Do you honestly believe they won't iron out any initial teething problems? I have come across many bar staff who struggle to pull a decent pint (including in the Celllar) but most with training and experience soon learn. If it isn't right send it back and keep on doing so until it is.