Ponsonby Arms

A space for pubs/bars/clubs/festivals to tell us what beers they have available.
mike5490
Advanced Member

Re: Ponsonby Arms

Post by mike5490 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Dear Only Me, glad you could get back to me, yes I agree teachers are odious, but Govey will sort them out!
But its not Only Me is it? its my old sparring partner, HOGSHEAD!!! yeah!! great stuff, thought you had left the planet, what a treat, glad to see you are as odious as ever. How was the Ponsonby? you been there yet? I called in this weekend and found the beers very good indeed.
So glad you back on the scene, why you keep changing your id? doesnt hide your dreadful command of English and poor grammar though. hahahaha!!

clayton
Advanced Member

Post by clayton » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Please! Is this what the forum is about? I dont think so.

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Totally agree, apologies if I have upset you, but I did comment on the quality of the beer at the Ponsonby.

clayton
Advanced Member

Post by clayton » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm

mike5490 wrote:Totally agree, apologies if I have upset you, but I did comment on the quality of the beer at the Ponsonby.
Briefly (btw I am not upset)

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 am

Today we order the first two bathroom suites for the en-suites that are currently being replaced in our letting bedrooms. The roofer will be here to make a start on Monday. I plan to plant some summer flowering bulbs today. Paul is on yet another road trip, this time he goes to some breweries, including;

Cumbria Legendary Ales
Bollington
Coniston
Dent
Hawkshead

We just finished a delightful beer from Enville called Kasitra, new this year and only a 3.5 but packed full of citrus and grapefruit bitterness. It'll be on at The Sun Inn this weekend if you missed it. We have a lot of dark beers on at the Ponsonby at the moment.

Abbeydale Brimstone nice dark brown 3.9
Abbeydale Black Mass 6.66
Enville Ginger 4.6
Enville Cherry Blonde 4.2
Ludlow Black Knight 4.5
Salopian Golden Thread 5 (my favourite Salopian beer atm)
Salopian Lemon dream 4.5
Enville Mild 4
Ludlow Boiling Well 4.7
Abbeydale Mothers Ruin 5
:cheers:

We now do buy two pints of real ale get the third for free between 6 and 7pm every Friday, anyone who partakes gets free entry to watch the band in The Sun.

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Fri May 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Just to let people know our hoppy hour is still on a friday from 6- 7 but we are doing a pound off pints of real ale and 50 pence off a half.

Beer selection:-

Thornbridge Jaipur
Three Tuns Steampunk
and Rantipole
Salopian Shropshire gold
and Divine comedy Mild
Phoenix Black bee
Heavy industry Electric Mountain
Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild
Enville White
Lymestone Einestine

Real Ciders
Firey fox
Two Trees perry

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 am

I just messaged the town council and the chamber of commerce about a direct bus from chester to Llangollen, ill post the replies on here

Hoppy hour today 6-7 £1 off a pint of Real ale or cider.

thirsty moon from phoenix 4.6%
Dark side of the Moose, purple moose 4.6%
Divine comedy from Salopian 3.9%
Pounamu a special from Lymestone brewery 4.2% my joint favorite atm
Enville ale 4.5% my other joint favorite
Sarah hughes Dark Ruby 6%
Phoenix Black bee 4.5 %
Collaborator from Heavy industry brewery 4%
Stone cutter from Lymestone brewery 3.9%
Salopian Hoptwister 4.5%

Real Cider/ perry
Firey fox & Two trees perry

On their way
Shropshire gold from salopian 3.8%
Jaipur from Thornbridge 5.9%
more from Enville and Lymestone

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Mon May 27, 2013 9:20 am

I enjoyed a couple of pints (Salopian Hoptwister, Enville Ale) with Paul on Saturday once he'd finished assembling some garden furniture. When he talks about his and Elissa's designs for the pub it's impossible that his enthusiasm doesn't rub off on you.

I love the idea of turning the pub back into a more traditional multi-room interior so each area can generate its own atmosphere. Also halving the size of the toilets ("you dont get eight blokes standing at a urinal any more") to allow side access to the beer garden rather than via the front door. Then the garden itself - already coming along nicely - to have a running water feature with Monet-style arched bridges. Just need to get the scaffolding down first and complete work on the letting rooms.

Constant evolution. Great stuff.

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:14 pm

It's inspirational to hear your positive comments, but things aren't easy! The slate roof is almost at completion point, we just needed to get the sandstone sections for the chimneys, the chimney pots and the conservation skylight. Now there's a story! The roofer told us the measurements between the rafters and told us there was no restriction on height. Of course once we received the skylight we found there is a perlin in the way! We have to pay 25% restocking fee and all the mither that goes with it; the repacking and sending back. Luckily the replacement skylight is slightly cheaper.

I do love summer, there is an air of positivity around Llangollen. The only downside from a real ale houses point of view is that people tend to prefer a fizzy cider or lager. Furthermore there seems to be a lack of discerning drinkers in and around Llangollen.

As much as we love doing what we do, we cannot afford to finance this business at a continuing loss indefinitely and if we don't get the support soon, we may not be able to continue. As sad as it is......

In case anyone is interested we now do Snowdonia ale at £2.50 per pint, furthermore we have a Hoppy Hour promoting real ale every friday between 6pm and 7pm. Which is £1 off per pint of real ale or real cider.

Our ales and ciders:-

Enville White
Heavy industry collaborator
Salopian Lemon dream
Enville Ginger
Dark side of the moose
Lymestone Stone the Crows
Salopian Hop Twister
Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby
Salopian Shropshire Gold
Heavy industry High Voltage

Real Ciders
Haymaker
Black Dragon

To come we have some box steam, big hand, Kelham island, Cumbria legendary ales, Elland, Wincle, Three tuns, Bank top and loads more.....

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:57 pm

We have the usual selection of wonderful beers on. Paul has been down in the cellar this past week working on, not cellar cooling but warming. This new air-con system will warm the cellar up at colder times of the year and cool it down when it gets sweltering, brilliant! It is like a cave in our cellar the temp is pretty constant at 10 degrees, however during cold spells it went down to about zero, which doesn't do the beer much good.

The new roof light has been fitted. the slates and ridge tiles are on, just the guttering now. The next big project is the painting which shall be done while the scaffolding is still here.

I expected our real ale promotion to pack the place, at only £1.50 for the Snowdonia Ale between 6pm and 7pm on a friday! We still had our die hard penny pincher locals queuing for their discount! Please do not consider this as irresponsible drinking, however there is a certain individual an ex head teacher no less, who has set the record for the smallest amount of money spent on the greatest amount of beer during hoppy hour, only £9 for 6 pints - he walked out of here a proud man though I expect he was in for a beating from his wife. :nono:

alanH
Advanced Member

Post by alanH » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Elissa would also like to correct the telephone no. to 01978 447985.
NOT 01978 861119

Important on What Pub and future beer guides as the pub has accommodation.

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Aye that was the old number before we started here. But the accommodation we did have is no more as we are in the process of installing en-suites which may be ready at some point this century, will keep you posted of course.

Would you believe it's been nearly a year since we first opened!

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:08 pm

We have received our new ice machine, which Paul is installing in the cellar. The architect has been here today to discuss the kitchen extension and plans for a brewery. The kitchens will be operational on Friday saturday and Sundays, in a couple of weeks time......
Beers on at the moment are:

Snowdonia ale
Heavy industry collaborator
Lymestone Ein Stein and Foundation stone
Enville Porter
Big Hand Melyn
Kelham Island Crimson Steel
Three Tuns Rantipole
Shropshire Gold
Elland Day Tripper

Real Ciders Black dragon and Haymaker.

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:50 pm

I had my knuckles severely rapped by Wainwright this afternoon for not making more entries about the ongoing works at our up and coming establishment.

Many thanks for delivering our pack for entry into the new guide and the ongoing support from those of you who have given it to us.

We now have regular shipments of Ulverston beer, so there is more often than not a sample of Flying Elephant and occasionally Lonesome Pine or Laughing Gravy on the taps. As well as the usual salopian, purple moose, three tuns and variety of breweries across the UK, there are simply too many to mention. We love you! Keep brewing your magic!

Paul has fitted new cellar cooling system which not only cools the beer but also warms it up when necessary in winter. Now fully functional and making a notable difference.

Nobody would notice "The ponsonby Arms" if they walked into it at the moment as the current painting job required the removal of the exterior signs. We decided upon black and white as the colours...... all votes of day-glow pink were secretly sifted out of the bins before the counting commenced!

We have acquired a new dining table, for our restaurant area, which is incredibly delightful! A lovely art deco clock, which chimes on the quarter.

Furthermore we have a quiz every tuesday for a meager charge of £2 which provides the entrants with a delicious feast put together by our wonderful chef and the chance to win a cash prize or a bottle of tanners wine.

As you are already aware there is a "Hoppy hour" every friday from 6pm to 7pm giving a £1 off per pint of real anything.....

Beers on at the moment are

Dark side
Snowdon
Shroppy
Ulverston lonesome pine
Brimstone
Blackwater reggae
Hair of the dog...... Real ales will fill to 10 as the weekend roles in

Black dragon and Dog dancer -

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:18 am

We have some amazing beers on at The Ponsonby. Starting at £2.50 for our cheapest bitter.

Cask Ales - Snowdonia ale
Timothy taylors landlord
Kelham Island summer breeze
HPA from Wye Valley
Joules pale ale
Ullverston flying Elephant.
Shropshire Gold
Doctor Mortons Angler Management
Purple moose Glaslyn
Three tuns Stout

Scrumpy

Two Trees Perry.
Gwynt y ddraig, Dog dancer

For you larger drinkers we have Dortmunder Vier and Pilsner Urquel - definitely the best larger in the world and Fruitess, for those of you who like something sweet.

Remember we have a quiz every tuesday. Entry is only £2 and you get some supper cooked by Charles T Uddin Winners get a cash prize and runners up get a lovely bottle of house wine.

Every friday between 6-7 is hoppy hour, giving you the chance to sample our ales at £1 less per pint, making snowdonia ale - Champion beer of britain 2012 - only £1.50.

We serve lunches every day between 11am and 3pm, evening meals are served from 6-9 and we serve throughout the day on Saturday and Sundays.