Ponsonby Arms

A space for pubs/bars/clubs/festivals to tell us what beers they have available.
mike5490
Advanced Member

Re: Ponsonby Arms

Post by mike5490 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Rather aggressive response! Doesnt matter who I am, I undertook a road trip to your establishment to sample your beers. Choice at the time of my visit was limited,although Purple Moose was good. The establishment lacked atmosphere and warmth, plaster off walls, just an air of neglect, not a place I would readily return to. Im sure you are doing a good job on the real ale front in Llangollen.

Tarquel
Advanced Member

Post by Tarquel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 pm

I truly believed one of camras aims was to support places that served real ale well. particularly those like us who have liberated this S&N pub. we have bought 19 real ale & cider products to a prior beer desert over 15 years. considering the overwhelming support & positive feed back. We are shocked by your comments.
Who are you? When was your visit and what was wrong? If someone has any problem . Please let us know what it is so we can aspire to fix it, if the problem is indeed a valid on
Dear oh dear ! I'm amazed at how 'thin-skinned' some publicans are. If you're 'shocked' at a paying customer offering an honest opinion, then maybe you're in the wrong game.

And for the record, I like your boozer (see earlier post).

Tarquel

suttongalactico

Post by suttongalactico » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Speak as you find – I’ve been astonished by the range and quality whenever I’ve been; including one horrible weather November Thursday lunchtime – absolute tip top condition beer and just two fearless travellers in the pub. Puts many a GBG house to shame.

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Glad to hear you like the Snowdonia Mike; (we thought you were a disappointed fosters drinker? :? ) and glad to hear you like our pub Tarquel and suttongalactico, it would be nice if the more of the positive comments were included, from the outset, especially with a fledgling business. Maybe it's hard to comprehend the level of effort and dedication it takes, not to mention the conviction it takes to risk your savings in an economic down-turn.

It may not have the perfect decor but we only took over at the end of August and we are doing exactly what CAMRA supports. We are not a chain or brewery with an endless pit of money, we spend on the pub, what we make from the pub. We have put in a real fire, rather than the white radiator which was there before and have not plastered round it yet. We are in the process of replacing the roof and windows, the drains, the kitchens, the bedrooms, the flat toilet roof, the sump and a load of other things! Not to mention running The Sun Inn as well. The Ponsonby Arms was in a sorry state when we first took over and we've barely started yet.

I could post the projects as they progress (especially the plastering) as well as the beer too if you like? :roll:

Watch this space! :uzi:

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Post by Mr W » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm

I should perhaps point out that although this is a board for the local CAMRA branch, it is not restrictive, so people outside of the branch and even non-members are welcome to join and post. Publicans shouldn't always assume that comments are representative of the branch views, or even from CAMRA members for that matter.
Ian

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 am

Yesterday I put the first bit of primer on the GWR bench ends, that Paul plans to put at the front of the pub. I plan to turn them over today and paint the other side. The scaffolding went up too, for the roofer to start next week. Paul is on a road trip to collect a cast iron gate he bought off ebay, we plan to fit it to the car park entrance and grow some scented roses on it. En-route he will be picking up some more beer

At the moment we have

Leeds midnight bell
Leeds Yorkshire gold
Moorhouse Premium bitter
Moorhouse pendle witches brew
Moorhouse black cat
Dr Mortons Ships biscuit
Abbeydale absolution
Salopian Black heart
saltaire coffee porter
Kelham Island Tin can avenger

Rosies DDD
Wicked Wasp

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Elissa Gravells wrote:Yesterday I put the first bit of primer on the GWR bench ends, that Paul plans to put at the front of the pub. I plan to turn them over today and paint the other side. The scaffolding went up too, for the roofer to start next week. Paul is on a road trip to collect a cast iron gate he bought off ebay, we plan to fit it to the car park entrance and grow some scented roses on it.
Marvellous Elissa. More posts on the on-going developments please! Seen any ghosts in the creepy cellar yet?

clayton
Advanced Member

Post by clayton » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Sounds great Elissa, I am hoping to visit this weekend.Could you please post your opening hours.

Only_Me
Advanced Member

Post by Only_Me » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:08 pm

mike5490 wrote:Rather aggressive response! Doesnt matter who I am, I undertook a road trip to your establishment to sample your beers. Choice at the time of my visit was limited,although Purple Moose was good. The establishment lacked atmosphere and warmth, plaster off walls, just an air of neglect, not a place I would readily return to. Im sure you are doing a good job on the real ale front in Llangollen.
Ignore him Elissa, not visited yet but the establishment and the beer choice sounds fabulous to me. Nobody listens to his comments anyway plus the fact that he goes out of his way to upset people viewing his past comments.

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi only me, glad you could respond. How can you say a pub is great if you not visited yet? you got to be a CAMRA member!!!
Nobody listens?, this thread has run and run, so somebody, including your good self must be!!
Unlike you I shall drop in next week, beer list looks fine.

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:23 pm

I dont upset people because they view my past posts! grammar dear person !!

Only_Me
Advanced Member

Post by Only_Me » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Always Banging on about grammar, must be one of those hideous creatures otherwise known as a 'Teacher'. We have crossed swords before on here I believe.

clayton
Advanced Member

Post by clayton » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Let the battle commence :roll:

jamesb
Forum Admin

Post by jamesb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:40 am

Let's not eh?
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

clayton
Advanced Member

Post by clayton » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Had an excellent afternoon at the Ponsonby today. Great choice of beer and good food.
I was really impressed at the effort being put in to transform this once neglected
pubco owned house into a welcoming and very customer friendly real ale gem.