Ponsonby Arms

A space for pubs/bars/clubs/festivals to tell us what beers they have available.
alanH
Advanced Member

Ponsonby Arms

Post by alanH » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:07 am

Confirming my reply post on "Llangollen Food Festival", The Ponsonby Arms was closed when I passed at 9.00pm on Saturday night. Reports are that the landlord has left because business did not go as well as he had hoped.
At least all the pubs in Llangollen are 'Real' again but three of them having to close to achieve this is not so positive!

Dexter
Advanced Member

Re: Ponsonby Arms

Post by Dexter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Which are the three shut pubs then? Bet that Royal Hotel doesn't have any proper stuff, mind you it's not a proper pub either.

alanH
Advanced Member

Post by alanH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:17 pm

I was classing the three as the Pons, the Smithfield and the Grapes but as the Grapes shut a fair while back, I have no idea whether it was real or not. I was working on the assumed logic that if it had to shut it must have been keg! but the only other one to shut, the Jenny Jones was of course real.
Funny you should mention the Royal. I've just done a review on that tonight on Pubs Galore along with a few other Llangollen pubs. I occasionally pop my head in to see if any "rhubarb has sprung up on the dunghill" but no such luck.

Dexter
Advanced Member

Post by Dexter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Smithfield totally shut then? Not coming back?

alanH
Advanced Member

Post by alanH » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:34 pm

If its coming back its taking its time. It has been gone for 10 months now. I would have guessed about 6 months but I found a 30 second video on YouTube titled "Justin Langford kills The Smithfield" showing him white painting over the last bits of the sign.
I have heard rumours since from flats to a wine bar but nothing definate. I must make more inquiries in the rumour department.

pwl

Post by pwl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:38 pm

:drink: Breaking news:Check this out http://www.ponsonbyarms.com

electrophotic
Advanced Member

Post by electrophotic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:55 pm

I've been to Llangollen a few times, but where's the Ponsonby Arms?

pwl

Post by pwl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:01 pm

If you stand outside the Bridge End and Look East towards The Sun Trevor you can see the sign :thumb:

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 am

Blimey. I didn't see that coming. I drove past both the Ponsonby and the Jenny Jones last Sunday and thought there's two pubs that'll never re-open.

Not that anyone else will be interested but I also got the impression the Travellers Inn on High Street Johnstown was now an accountants or something similar.

pwl

Post by pwl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Mmmm Travellers Rest
The pub with a big sign outside saying NO TRAVELLERS!
Just makes you want to go in to upset them

alanH
Advanced Member

Post by alanH » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:49 am

Handbridge Hophead wrote:Blimey. I didn't see that coming. I drove past both the Ponsonby and the Jenny Jones last Sunday and thought there's two pubs that'll never re-open.

Not that anyone else will be interested but I also got the impression the Travellers Inn on High Street Johnstown was now an accountants or something similar.
Yes, The Travellers Inn http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72845/ has been offices for some time now. As it retains most of it's pub signs, it looks open at first glance in the daytime when the office doors are open!

Great news about the Ponsonby. I love the word "emporium" when cask ale is mentioned. Lets hope it keeps it's promise and not another false dawn.

Buzer

Post by Buzer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Indeed will be good if this comes to fruition.
I love a good pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord.
The idea of having a place I can stay with 12 handpumps
In Llangollen!
...... HEAVEN!!!!!

alanH
Advanced Member

Post by alanH » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:04 pm

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
12 Handpumps :suprised: :suprised: I wonder if they are going to build a new bar or extend the present one.

We might as well award it next years National Pub of the Year now in advance. :thumb:

Elissa Gravells
Advanced Member

Post by Elissa Gravells » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 am

:drinking: As if we didn't have enough problems? :party:

alanH
Advanced Member

Post by alanH » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:18 am

alanH wrote: 12 Handpumps :suprised: :suprised: I wonder if they are going to build a new bar or extend the present one.

We might as well award it next years National Pub of the Year now in advance. :thumb:
No action at all here. It looks like it is not going through. :( :(

We will have to be content with Elissa's SIX handpumps. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :cheers: :drunk: