The lost pubs of Chester...

It's not what it used to be. Please share your knowledge of long lost breweries, pubs and sorely missed beers here.
knowhowe
Advanced Member

The lost pubs of Chester...

Post by knowhowe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:42 pm

For those who don't already know of it, may I introduce my website, "The Vanished Pubs and Breweries of Chester"

http://www.chesterwalls.info/oldpubs.html

- part of my extensive online mooch around the city, "Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls"-

http://www.chesterwalls.info

The site has just been expanded from four long pages to eight, equally-long ones and all manner of 18th and 19th century pubs and their licencees have been added.

I'm always on the look out for more information to be added to the site and am writing now to ask for your assistance. Your contributions, reminisciences, photographs and corrections are always very welcome and will always be credited.

For example, I am building up a decent list of 18th and 19th century licencees from old directories and the like but am very short of those from more recent times, including in living memory. If you can help to fill in the gaps, together, perhaps, with some anecdotes, I'd love to hear from you. Email me: knowhowe@bwpics.co.uk

I've recently opened the 'Chester Virtual Stroll' to advertising in order to keep it afloat and growing, so if you want to tell the world about your business on our popular website (around 50,000 visitors per month now!) talk to me...
Many thanks!

knowhowe
Advanced Member

Re: The lost pubs of Chester...

Post by knowhowe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:35 am

Remarkably, I've heard naff all from anyone in response to my appeal for reminisciences about Chester's vanished pubs, their licencees and clientelle.

So here's a bit of a nudge. Everyone lost their memories?

electrophotic
Advanced Member

Post by electrophotic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:16 pm

I've got a few interesting memories, especially of the licensees and clientele. However, some of them may still be around, and I am fearful of litigation. I'll have another look at your website and see if there's anything interesting I may be able to add.

knowhowe
Advanced Member

Post by knowhowe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:25 am

Cheers. Appreciated.

I'm not really after 'dishing the dirt', more interesting and amusing anecdotes to help bring the memories of those old places back to life. It's far too easy for our memories to slip into oblivion.

And, as I said, anonymity guaranteed!

knowhowe
Advanced Member

Post by knowhowe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 am

Sigh..

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 am

Never mind sighing. I've emailed you twice now and had no reply!