Early Closing in the Walls

It's not what it used to be. Please share your knowledge of long lost breweries, pubs and sorely missed beers here.
Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Early Closing in the Walls

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 am

I was chatting about this the other night. You used to see a good stream of people crossing over the Old Dee Bridge at 10.30pm from the Billet, Kings Head etc to take advantage of the extra half hour's drinking outside of the city wall in Handbridge. Weird. When did that come to an end? 1979ish?

rimmer
Advanced Member

Re: Early Closing in the Walls

Post by rimmer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:39 am

Do remember that extra half hours drinking but could never remember which side of the walls it was,just remember rushing around about 10-30,probably I used The Bull and Stirrup,just outside the walls ,to catch the last "crossie" bus home. Anyone remember the branch meeting there and the Higsons bitter,a particular favourite of mine then. Can't recall when that extra half hour finished. At the other end most pubs then didn't open till six so for an early drink used to go to Tudor Rose,Two mills which opened at five(ish) which again served some quite memorable Higsons.
cheers
rimmer

The Eggman
Forum Moderator

Post by The Eggman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:56 pm

We used to get all day drinking in Malpas in the early 80's thanks to a market day extension at the New Inn at Hampton till 4 and early opening at the Sports club after the footy finished at 4 then back to the Crown at 5.30 then out to Whitchurch with a bag of quavers to line us stomachs with . :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :sick: :sick: :cheers:

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Rimmer and I had a discussion in the Bridge this evening ( Excellent, Otter, Youngs, Bass and Golden Pippen ) about drinking good Higsons in the past. We agreed on the Bull and Stirrup in town, the Bunbury at Stoak and a couple on the Wirral. The Shrewsbury in Claughton Village was good as was the Vale on Oxton Road, Vittoria Vaults ( the famous piggy!) and the Farmers Arms Wallasey Village. Any other suggestions?
Has the micro Higsons brewery now closed?

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:17 pm

mike5490 wrote:Rimmer and I had a discussion in the Bridge this evening ( Excellent, Otter, Youngs, Bass and Golden Pippen ) about drinking good Higsons in the past. We agreed on the Bull and Stirrup in town, the Bunbury at Stoak and a couple on the Wirral. The Shrewsbury in Claughton Village was good as was the Vale on Oxton Road, Vittoria Vaults ( the famous piggy!) and the Farmers Arms Wallasey Village. Any other suggestions?
Has the micro Higsons brewery now closed?
Yes enjoyed that Copper Dragon and Otter,as to the new Higsons brewery it appears under the R.I.P. section of the latest GBG so suppose thats the end of that. The only other Higsons pub of the past other than mentioned is The Tudor Rose ,Ledsham that I can remember anyway and as well as the beer, was quite child friendly, an unusual occurance those days.
cheers and happy higsons
rimmer

supervalkoinen
Advanced Member

Post by supervalkoinen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Very fond memories of The Piggy - my family local for best part of a century and a true community pub - features on the cover of a semi-autobiography 'The Other Fella'.
As a pedant, I have to point out that The Shrew is in Oxton Village, not Claughton. Main memories of my youth - not often getting served under age - strict landlady - and having to go to the grotty Talbot - not so choosy about their clientele.
One of the saddest Higgies losses was The Villiers, Clayton Square.