Queen's Park Brewery

It's not what it used to be. Please share your knowledge of long lost breweries, pubs and sorely missed beers here.
John Murray
Advanced Member

Queen's Park Brewery

Post by John Murray » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:24 am

From public records, and Len Morgan's excellent book detailing the History of Handbridge, I have been able to find more about the former Queens Park Brewery.

It was situated only a couple of hundred yards from where I live, on the north corner of the junction what is now Elizabeth Crescent and Edinburgh Way.

The brewery is shown in maps of 1835, 1845 and 1875, but had gone by 1885. The OS maps show a fresh water spring in the corner of the brewery site, so presumably this was used to supply the brewery.

The 1871 census of St Bridget, Chester (for some reason Queens Park was in this parish rather than St Mary’s) shows William Richards, Brewer and Maltster (born c 1838 Newtown, Montgomeryshire) living at the brewery with his wife Harriet (born Chester c 1832) and daughter Ada (born Chester c 1865) and 2 servants.

By the 1881 census, the brewery had reverted to a private dwelling named "The Woodlands" occupied by the Couroy family.

The 1861 census shows William as Maltster and Livery Stable Keeper living at 9 Linenhall Street with Harriet and son John B (born Chester c 1860), stepson George J Griffith (born Chester c 1851) and stepdaughter (born Chester c 1855). William and Harriet married in Liverpool in September 1858.

According to the 1851 census, Harriet was previously married to James Griffith, a cab proprietor, and lived in Walls Lane, Chester. James died in December 1856.

William Richards owned the Shakespeare Inn, an alehouse in Foregate Street, (now Asia Fusion restaurant) presumably as an outlet for his beer. He sold this in 1882 to the Lion Brewery Company.

After the sale of the pub, the 1891 Welsh census shows that William and Harriet bought and ran the Wynnstay Arms in Ruthin.

No trace of the brewery remains today as the area was redeveloped in the 1960s. However householders regularly unearth bottles and other items connected with the brewery in their gardens and barley and hops now grow wild in the fields and hedgerows near the former brewery.

I made beer, using some of these hops, and very good it tasted too.

I hope this is interesting, social history mixed with brewing.