Lion Brewery, Chester

It's not what it used to be. Please share your knowledge of long lost breweries, pubs and sorely missed beers here.
Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Lion Brewery, Chester

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:15 pm

With all the talk of Northgate Brewery, here's a good pic and article about an an old brewery on Pepper Street which explains the lion statue on the top of the present multi-storey carpark. Sadly I suspect we'll need to resort to the ouija board for tales of the smell and malt and hops wafting over Albion Street.

http://www.chesterwalls.info/lionbrewery.html

John Murray
Advanced Member

Re: Lion Brewery, Chester

Post by John Murray » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:08 am

Interesting stuff, HH, it was the Chester Walls site that inspired my original searching. I have looked, to no avail so far, for any surving records from the Lion Brewery to get an idea of what their beers were like. As it was acquired so early on, 1902, by Bent's I think the possibility of the malt and hop records surviving in the public domain is remote.

Being a more recent closure, a larger collection of records from Northgate Brewery survive. Other interesting documents in the Records Office are the old licensing records which show which local pubs were tied to which breweries in the 19th and early 20th centuries. This might make an interesting article for a future newsletter.

One little mentioned brewery was the Queens Park Brewery in Handbridge which closed in the late 19th century. It was situated at the corner of what is now Elizabeth Crescent and Edinburgh Way. The 1881 census shows the owner as a brewer and maltster. It is believed that the brewery grew its own hops and barley on the Meadows which may explain the abundance of now wild barley and hops there today.

In September, I made some beer with some of the hops, and very nice it was too. Difficult to measure the alpha acid as I don't have the facilties, but my guestimate is around 7-8% as they are considerably more bitter than a benchmark Golding when I made a hop tea with equal amounts of each for comparison. I used the hops in both bittering and late hopping, and they produced a very sharp, traditional bitter taste which was very drinkable.

If you look at the Tithe maps

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/T ... p=EDT_96-2

The brewery was there in 1836 and 1875, but had gone by 1910.

Residents near the site of the brewery, still occasionally unearth bottles and other artefacts.

knowhowe
Advanced Member

Re: Lion Brewery, Chester

Post by knowhowe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 am

Handbridge Hophead wrote:With all the talk of Northgate Brewery, here's a good pic and article about an an old brewery on Pepper Street
I've just added another old pic of the Lion Brewery to the page.

Any other info about this or any other of Chester's lost pubs and their licencees and breweries is urgently sought and gratefully received...

Email me: knowhowe@bwpics.co.uk

http://www.chesterwalls.info/oldpubs.html