Nostalgia

It's not what it used to be. Please share your knowledge of long lost breweries, pubs and sorely missed beers here.
jamesb
Forum Admin

Nostalgia

Post by jamesb » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:35 pm

I've created this section from a user request. He thought, and I and a couple of others agree that it would be nice to share knowledge and memories of long lost breweries, pubs and beers.

Of course, still being in nappies, there's not much I can contribute but I'd love to hear things from others.
James

“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Mr W » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 pm

jamesb wrote:I've created this section from a user request. He thought, and I and a couple of others agree that it would be nice to share knowledge and memories of long lost breweries, pubs and beers.

Of course, still being in nappies, there's not much I can contribute but I'd love to hear things from others.
I miss getting royally trolleyed on Moonraker in Clavertons :drunk: :sick:
Ian

Handbridge Hophead
Advanced Member

Post by Handbridge Hophead » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:24 pm

In its GBG days it was a great pub was Clavs - a kindergarten Harkers. I remember celebrating a rare Chester promotion in here with a few Moonrakers singing along to Kinky Afro by the Happy Mondays on the juke-box. Brilliant. I even liked their own brand lager (forgotten the name) though everyone else seemed to hate it. They also used to sell bottle conditioned Harvest Ale which I suspect is now a collectors item.

pistonbroke
Advanced Member

Post by pistonbroke » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:59 pm

:sick: yes,I remember Claverton`s too; a few like-minded souls from work,(all now drinking on Cloud 9,alas,and me used to pop in on a Thusday night,and get p****d on Lees,and then buy a bottle of wine each as a round...couldn`t do it now.. :shock:

pistonbroke
Advanced Member

Post by pistonbroke » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:38 pm

:drink: :drink: just passed the Olive Tree, at Bretton,and in its previous reincarnation as the Glynne Arms,and selling `proper` Greenalls bitter and mild,along with (occasionally) Original,they also stocked the highly addictive Old Chester Ale,in nip-sized bottles,to add to one`s beer as a `livener`,or as a chaser..then back to work,to sleep off on Friday afternoon.... :D

rimmer
Advanced Member

Post by rimmer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:39 pm

I miss getting royally trolleyed on Moonraker in Clavertons :drunk: :sick:[/quote]

Anyone remember when Clavs was The Talbot,cos remember staggering out of there late 60s, pre Camra days, after supping copious amounts of Ind Coope Long Life probably keg but can't remember and also enjoyed Moonraker there later on. A bit later on remember also getting trolleyed in the cellar bar of The Grovener Hotel on Owd Roger,now that was real!
cheers and happy drinking
rimmer

electrophotic
Advanced Member

Post by electrophotic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:21 pm

I used to frequent the Talbot in the late 60's, before Lees took it on. Always used to drink the bitter (was it S&N Tartan?). Lower Bridge Street was the centre of the pub-crawl universe then, with the Kings Head (Burtonwood), Olde Kings Head (Greenalls), Bear and Billet (S&N?), and we would take a short cut via the Talbot's car park and through the back gate to The Albion. The Falcon was boarded up, awaiting restoration. Never went into the Cross Keys until the 70's, when I discovered the hoppy delights of Boddingtons (the original stuff, not the 1980's version).

Boughton Beerman
Advanced Member

Post by Boughton Beerman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:47 pm

That brings back some memories ....

Yes, the Talbot was S&N Tartan, not sure about the den of iniquity that was The Billet though. 6th Form dinner hour was generally a swift Burtonwood 'Top Hat', followed by a brown over bitter in the Olde King's Head, thence to the Cross Keys for a good old Doctor Boddingtons - (actually, it wasn't bad, compared to the generally poor offerings around at the time). We've come a long way.

mike5490
Advanced Member

Post by mike5490 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:59 pm

The Talbot/Clavertons sold Sam Smiths before Lees took it over

clayton
Advanced Member

Post by clayton » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 am

Does anyone remember landlord Steve Walker.I think he was at Clavs for quite a while.