Within the walls pub crawl

It's not what it used to be. Please share your knowledge of long lost breweries, pubs and sorely missed beers here.
The Beery Boughtoner
Advanced Member

Within the walls pub crawl

Post by The Beery Boughtoner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:56 am

Bit of nolstagia from a mis-spent youth returns on Saturday when myself and some others take in the Within the Walls pub crawl (Half Pint in each). If kept to purely pubs or places that used to be proper pubs (Commercial Hotel) I make it 21 in total which I will list below. Suggestions or comments would be welcome please.

Bear & Billet, Lower Bridge St
Cross Keys, Lower Bridge St
Albion, Albion St
Brewery Tap, Gamul Pl, Lower Bridge St
Kings Head, Lower Bridge St
Golden Eagle, Castle St (Poss closed)
Chester Bells, Grosvenor St
Falcon, Lower Bridge St
Plumbers Arms, Newgate St
Fat Cat, Watergate St
Custom House, Watergate St
Watergates, Watergate St (Simply as it was always on our list)
Victoria, Watergate St
Boot, Eastgate St
Commercial Hotel, Northgate St
Dublin Packet, Northgate St
Coach House, Northgate St
Shropshire, Northgate St
Pied Bull, Northgate St
Red Lion, Northgate St
Liverpool Arms, Northgate St

Mr W
Forum Moderator

Re: Within the walls pub crawl

Post by Mr W » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

The Beery Boughtoner wrote:Bit of nolstagia from a mis-spent youth returns on Saturday when myself and some others take in the Within the Walls pub crawl (Half Pint in each). If kept to purely pubs or places that used to be proper pubs (Commercial Hotel) I make it 21 in total which I will list below. Suggestions or comments would be welcome please.

Bear & Billet, Lower Bridge St
Cross Keys, Lower Bridge St
Albion, Albion St
Brewery Tap, Gamul Pl, Lower Bridge St
Kings Head, Lower Bridge St
Golden Eagle, Castle St (Poss closed)
Chester Bells, Grosvenor St
Falcon, Lower Bridge St
Plumbers Arms, Newgate St
Fat Cat, Watergate St
Custom House, Watergate St
Watergates, Watergate St (Simply as it was always on our list)
Victoria, Watergate St
Boot, Eastgate St
Commercial Hotel, Northgate St
Dublin Packet, Northgate St
Coach House, Northgate St
Shropshire, Northgate St
Pied Bull, Northgate St
Red Lion, Northgate St
Liverpool Arms, Northgate St
Duttons? I know it's technically a wine bar but it is a brewery-ran place.
Also, could include the likes of Joseph Benjamin and the Rectory Bar as you can go in just to drink beer.
Ian

BBCJohn
Advanced Member

Post by BBCJohn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:26 pm

So is the challenge to try them all in one day? :drunk: I agree with Mr W about including the Rectory Bar and Duttons, beware of beer quality at Joseph Benjamin - not had a decent pint there as yet erm, think it's been 3 occasions! :hmm:

Could also include a few new additions with real ale: Slug & Lettuce in Bridge St. (Punch range of beers) and Watergate Bar (Green King IPA). Or is this Watergates? :wha:

The Beery Boughtoner
Advanced Member

Post by The Beery Boughtoner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks chaps, I have included Duttons, The Rectory and Watergates and Joseph Benjamin. Yes the challenge is to do them all in one day but in reverse, hence a 12 pm start in Bear and Billet. The occasion is a friends birthday so I think there are at least 4 of us.

However, if any of you are around and see a group drinking halves in any of said pubs, please don't hesitate to approach us.

pistonbroke
Advanced Member

Post by pistonbroke » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 pm

:sick: Tried to do the Princes Street run in Edinburgh many years ago,and failed miserably,almost added my name and chalk mark on the wall/pavement where previous valiant tries also failed....I only got as far as the Academy...p**s poor effort really... :drunk: :cheers: :drink:

The Beery Boughtoner
Advanced Member

Post by The Beery Boughtoner » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:01 am

Revved up and ready to go, well almost. Suffering a bit as had spur of the moment trip last night to The Boot and then the Forest House. Had an amazing pint of 'Weasel' something or other in the Forest House. Call it practice for today. An hour to go, here we come Bear & Billet.

Will post the results on Monday as I will not be in any coherent state tomorrow. Wish me luck guys.

The Beery Boughtoner
Advanced Member

Post by The Beery Boughtoner » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Have been too embarrased to post this, failed the crawl miserably. The whole thing went to pot and was a complete disaster so gave up after Custom House. If was a bad sign when in 3rd pub (Brewery Tap) 4 of the group decided they wanted to go and watch the Manchester United game in Off The Wall of all places.

More people dropping out after that. The fact that the list included the Pelican in Commonhall St and also Bar Lounge left me shaking my head in disbelief.

Highlight was Spitting Feathers 'Devastation' at 8%. But only in halves of course.

electrophotic
Advanced Member

Post by electrophotic » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:00 pm

The Devastation must have been beefed up a bit. Last time I had a pint it was 5.2% and available as one of their seasonal brews (Feb-March I think) - they had it in the Square Bottle 2 or 3 years ago. The bottled version is listed as 7.5%.

BBCJohn
Advanced Member

Post by BBCJohn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Never mind Beery Boughtoner - you can always try another time! Sat evening in Chester was a bit of a nightmare, got caught up in the crowds leaving the racecouse after firework display. :uzi:
Brewery Tap was rammed as was B&B so took refuge in the Cross Keys - not a bad pint of Tetley Bitter and could actually get to the bar! :drink: Then went on to the Pied Bull to help finish off the B/F left-overs, not many of course, but enjoyed a couple of beers on the bar.
:cheers:

pistonbroke
Advanced Member

Post by pistonbroke » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:42 pm

:hmm: Never mind BB; if you and a friend or two who appreciate decent beer,want to do a re-run,could try the blackboard at the Mill Hotel,if only in halves...my miserable effort only got me `halfway` down,but after a mini-crawl round Chester... :oops:

Boughton Beerman
Advanced Member

Post by Boughton Beerman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Oh dear! Going to Off the Wall to watch the ****.

Would suggest your mates were not really up for it in the first place.

Bods who do real ale generally have good taste in most things but Off the Wall and the **** - unforgiveable!